Fort Gibraltar is located at 866 St Joseph Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The current fort is a reconstruction that was built in the 1970’s and has been the center of the winter celebration, Festival du Voyageur. The fort was originally built near to where the Red and Assiniboine Rivers intersect. The Northwest and Hudson Bay Companies were rival fur trading businesses. The governor of the Red River Colony captured and destroyed the fort in 1816, in 1817 the fort was rebuilt. In 1821 Fort Gibraltar was renamed Fort Garry, the name was changed once more in 1835 to Upper Fort Garry.